Testing at end of back up

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
barry106

Post by barry106 »

It would seem that all the files I wanted to be back up (to an external hard disk drive, have been copied.
Now the message line reads 'Testing' followed by a path and file name. After several hours, with the 'Testing' message displayed the % complete for this operation is 2%.
Is this normal? Doesn't seem right. Have noit done soemthing? What would happen to my backed up files if I stopped the operation?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
If you stop the backup now, the test won't be complete. We don't recommend you to do that.

Please send us the last backup log from View->Job Logs->Last backup log, to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hi folks,
I have a problem similar to that of Barry106 above. I'm backing up my old computer, which I know has a slower USB connection than is now current, to an external hard drive. The backup of the data took 8 or 9 hours (at least to get to 97%). The "testing" phase then started and has been over 7 hours so far and is only 18% done. (And I only have 11 GB of data.)
Is there any alternative to letting this run for another 40 hours or so? Is there a way to "pause" and then restart the testing so I get full access to my machine to do some things I have to do? Will it be done after testing or is there some other multi-hour phase of backup up its sleeve?
I'll be happy to send you a log if you want to see it.
Bruce

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hi folks,
I guess I should change my previous post about whether there was an alternative to spending 40+ hours on the "testing" portion of the backup. The backup just failed

because it was "out of memory". I'm sure this is because my computer, with only 385 RAM, often has memory problems, and I was trying to do work on it during the marathon backup. There were no actual errors in the 19% or so of files that had been tested.
I would like to go ahead and use the backup to attempt to restore the files onto my new computer (which has a much faster transfer rate). If some of the backups have problems the test would have detected, will these problems show up when the files are restored onto the new computer? Or is there a danger of corrupted data that I won't know about until I try to use a corrupted file?
Thanks,

Bruce
[1/21/2010 5:25:39 PM] Warning: Out of memory

Test aborted at 1/21/2010 5:29:49 PM, 17167 file(s) and 3300 folder(s) tested, 0 error(s) and 2 warning(s) found
Total number of files added to backup: 67248

Total number of folders added to backup: 6880

Total size of files added to backup: 15,258,447.01 KB (uncompressed), 8,032,007.20 KB (compressed)

Number of files excluded: 0

Number of folders excluded: 0

Files skipped: 40

Next scheduled backup:

Backup completed at 1/21/2010 5:30:13 PM with 0 error(s), 42 warning(s)

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
The test after backup will notify you if there were problems, you don't need to wait until the restore is done.
We recommend you to use our commercial edition, Backup4all. This allows you to split the backup size is smaller files in order to avoid the "Out of memory" error.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

murray

Post by murray »

Once in a while I run a backup, and the files are found and added without error. However, during the testing phase, some errors are reported.
How can I re-run the test phase to make sure those files are all OK. Testing them manually is not an option since there are several thousand files.
Thanks!

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
The manual test feature is not available in FBackup. It is available only in our commercial edition: Backup4all.

Please note you can now get a free license of Backup4all. Read this article for details: http://www.fbackup.com/forum/topic/50-l ... l-giveaway