Deleted files aren't removed from destination

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
TheTechFan

Post by TheTechFan »

I am using the mirror backup type, and even though the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option is checked it doesn't seem to be working, at least not consistently. There are a number of files and directories I have deleted from my hard drive, but when I run FBackup they aren't removed from my external hard drive. What's going on?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Can you tell us when the files are removed correctly from destination and when they are not?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

TheTechFan

Post by TheTechFan »

I was using FBackup for quite some time, and I assumed that it was working correctly. I noticed the problem after doing a clean install of Windows and then restoring from my backup. I went through the files on my computer and re-deleted those I didn't want, but when I ran the backup again it still didn't remove most of the deleted files from my external hard drive (even though the option to do so is enabled). I'm not sure why this is happening.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
It could be that some files or the catalog was outdated by the system restore.

Please create a new backup job and see if you still have the problem.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Tekified

Post by Tekified »

I've now solved this problem by reading older posts. This is what you need to do:
If you delete a file on the ORIGINAL drive, it will delete on the BACKUP drive ONLY if you ADD a file or folder to the ORIGINAL drive before pressing backup.
Worked for me!
Wondering tho if this can be fixed? I see this as a bit of a pain really.
I would like a truely mirrored backup of the ORIGINAL drive. It would be safe because

i would only press backup once per day. That would give me enough time to copy files

from the BACKUP drive back to the ORIGINAL drive incase any files get accidently deleted.

karlb

Post by karlb »

Hmm! Just noticed the same problem as well. Source = PC; Destination = External HDD connected via USB 2.0
And you are absolutely right!
Deleted files on my source were not deleted from destination even though I had checked the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" box.
However, the moment I added a simple text file to the source, the destination files disappeared.
I know this is freeware but does this require a fix?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
The backup is not executed if there isn't at least one file new/modified to be backed up.

This is how the application was designed to work.

julian

Post by julian »

Hi, can I clarify the above please? Please tell me which of the two following interpretations are correct:
(Using the free version, on Windows 7)
1. Deleted files on the source drive will not be deleted in the destination drive unless a new file is created *anywhere* on the source drive.
2. Deleted files on the source drive will not be deleted in the destination drive unless a new file is created *in the same folder* as the source file on the source drive.
Thanks,

Julian

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Deleted files will not be deleted in the destination drive unless a new source file is created or modified anywhere on the source drive. By "source file" I mean a file that is included in the backup sources list.

mdekmak

Re: Deleted files aren't removed from destination

Post by mdekmak »

Dears,
I just installed the version v7.0 and I noticed that If I deleted a file from the source drive, then this file will not be deleted on the destination drive.
I use the backup type: mirror
Thank you,