Deleted files aren't removed from destination

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Adrian (Softland)

Re: Deleted files aren't removed from destination

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Is the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option selected in Backup Properties->Type->Mirror page?

praczop

Post by praczop »

I just installed the version v7.0 and I noticed that If I deleted a file from the source drive, then this file will not be deleted on the destination drive.

Adrian (Softland)

@praczop

Hi, please note version 7 of FBackup is no longer supported. Please upgrade to version 9.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

bl9737

Post by bl9737 »

FBackup 9.9 Build 849, W10 Pro. I am seeing this behavior in a folder where I manually delete older files as new ones are created.

My hard drive has a particular folder with only 3 files, all created in the last two days. The Backup (using the Mirror option) I just ran has 6 files. The Backup shows the same 3 recent files plus 2 more from January,2024 and one from May, 2023. Several new files are created each week in this folder with a similar number being manually deleted. Why these three are the only old ones left in the Backup is confusing.

There is another folder for a different backup set that is showing the same behavior. My hard drive has a folder with one file in it. Again, as a new, updated file is created, an older one is manually deleted. Today's Backup (Mirror) has about nine versions of this file going back a year or so.

These two folders are easiest to check because of my create/delete routine.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

As Mirror backup type will overwrite the old files in destination with the new file version, I understand the file names are different for old/new files.
In FBackup, please open Backup Properties->Mirror. Make sure the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option is selected. Then press Save.

The deleted files from sources should be deleted from destination when you run the backup next time, as long as there are new files to be backed up.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

bl9737

Post by bl9737 »

Hi Adrian. Thanks for your reply.

The "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option is selected for my examples.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send us an email to info[at]fbackup[dot]com, with the last backup log, the .fkc catalog file from the backup destination and also the name and path of such a file which should be deleted.

bl9737

Post by bl9737 »

Hi Adrian: I apologize for not responding sooner. I just did not get back to this forum to check for responses.

I did run a backup today (Feb 13, 2024) using FB version 9.9.Build 853. I knew of nine files in the previous backup (Jan. 3, 2024) that should be deleted. They were deleted!

I rotated my off-site backup drives last week, so I do not have immediate access to the drive with the backup using version 9.9 Build 849 with the info you requested. It looks to me like the problem has been fixed.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I'm glad you no longer have the problem.