Page 1 of 1
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 am
I just bought a new laptop and would like to set up the same backup job on the new machine. I ran the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to move most of the old machine's files, profiles, users and folders. I installed FBackup on my new unit.
However, the jobs that were saved and running on the old machine did not show up when I ran FBackup on the new box.
My question for the forum is
1) Where are the files located.
2) What/how should I move them to the new machine to maintain the same jobs and schedule? (After the process is complete the new machine and backup jobs should have the same name as the old ones and the old ones will be "scrubbed" to remove all data.)
3) I'd like to do a final backup on the old machine and restore on the new one to make sure any files that have been added or changed since Easy Transfer are available on the new box.
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:44 pm
Please make a backup for FBackup configurations using the plugin from FBackup.
You can open the catalog from destination on the new computer and run the restore there.
Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:05 am
Sorry if I'm a little too dense but ...
1) I did a search in FBackup 4 Help for the word "plug" -- result: not found. It appears that Help does not talk about the use of plugins, what plugins should be installed, or how to get or check the plugins. Perhaps this is an oversight.
2) I opened Tools/Plugins -- result: a dialog box with a list of plugins that did not include FBackup configurations backup as an installed plugin.
3) I clicked on "Add" -- result: a Windows Explorer window opened with a list of files with the proper extension to be plugins and only the plugins already installed were shown in the plugin folder. No option to select any FBackup configuration file.
4) I searched the FBackup Forum for the word "plug" -- result: 30 items none of which seem to help much with the use of plugins for configuration backup.
5) I clicked on "Get Plugins" in the Tool/Plugins dialog box -- result: opened a download page for a lot of plugins but none appear to be for FBackup Configurations.
6) I searched for the word "configuration" on the "Get Plugins" download page search function (a stab in the dark) -- result: 159 items found ... the 6th item was "How to back up and restore the Backup4all configurations" at [http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-bac ... s-235.html
Wow! a great tutorial appeared and after reviewing the video I was able to set up a configuration backup as needed.
Request -- Please provide this link to anyone asking a similar question as mine. The cryptic response above left me totally confused and frustrated with what is otherwise a GREAT product.
Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:32 pm
1. The correct word is "plugin". Please use the complete word when searching something. When searching "plugin" you will see the results.
2. The FBackup configuration plugin is a special one and you can find it installed in FBackup. You cannot add or remove it.
Create a new backup job and you will see it in the available plugins list.