Page 1 of 1

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:33 pm
by drtim

Thanks for a great piece of software

I just got started with this on a W7 machine. I created my first few backup projects and everything went perfectly. I am backing up to an external hard drive.

I decided to change the name of the destination folder from just plain BACKUP to include my name, so that I could also backup my wife's computer with a backup folder including her name. This allowed me to differentiate between the 2 backups. Everything is working but the backup names have changed now in my backup folder, to include a (1). For example, my Health.fkc backup is now called Health(1).fkc.

I have gone to the summary view, and the destination - catalog line does reflect this. I subsequently opened the Initialization folder and edited the Health.ini folder from "DEST_BKC_NAME=Health(1).fkc" to "DEST_BKC_NAME=Health.fkc", but it still did not fix this problem. Is there any way that I can get rid of the trailer (1) for my backups? I don't want to delete the backups and start again, as some of them are huge and took a long time to create.

I tried renaming via Backup Properties as you discuss here:

However, this did not solve my problem.

Hopefully, this was clear. Thank you.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:32 pm
by Adrian (Softland)


Was FBackup closed while you edit the .ini file?

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 pm
by drtim

No it was not. I have closed FBackup and edited the .ini file and that fixed the problem. Thank you.

On another note, do I need to have Outlook closed when FBackup is backing up Outlook? Thank you.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:02 pm
by Adrian (Softland)


If you use an administrator account you can back up Outlook while it is open.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 pm
by drtim

I am using an administrator account, but yet still not able to backup Outlook while it is open.

Here is the problem area of the backup log:

[7/10/2012 9:45:02 AM] Preparing shadow copy

[7/10/2012 9:45:04 AM] Could not create Volume Shadow Copy. Locked files will not be copied. Cannot connect to the vss server. The system cannot find the file specified

[7/10/2012 9:45:10 AM] Warning: Skipping file C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Source error (code 33). The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file. (C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst).


Before posting, I did the following. I went to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services --> Volume Shadow Copy --> set it to Automatic and made sure it was started

That appears to have fixed the problem.