Windows 7 Backup Problems

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Can you give me access to your computer?

Please send an email to info[at]fbackup[dot]com with details.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

I think the problem may be that XP uses "MY Documents" and Windows 7 has a "Users" folder. I would try to restore your backup, but choose Restore To An Alternate Location, and also an option to choose Files To Restore.
After you choose My Documents and restore the files and folders to an alternate folder, close all of the FBackup windows and open an Explorer window of C, Users, your account name, and My Documents. Then open another Explorer window of the temporary folder you restored your data to. Then drag the stuff over to the new Windows 7 Users folder.
Also, if you have folder settings in Windows 7 set to show hidden files and folders, there IS a My Documents folder off of the root like XP, but if you try to access it, you get permission denied. So maybe that the hidden folder exists (but you can not access), could be the reason your restore failed. Try as I stated above and let us know.
Hope this helps?

msc

Post by msc »

Thanks Hollywood.
I can backup and restore My Documents and My Pictures in Win7 using the FBackup plugins.
My problem is backing up My Music and My videos (no plugins). I'm getting the error/warning on the 1st BACKUP, not just the restore.
And yes, all of these folders are inside the "User" folder. The User folder does not behave like any other folder I've encountered. If you try to move a folder out of the User folder, it recreates itself inside the User folder, and you end up with duplicate folders. It tried moving My Music inside My Documents to see if it would backup without errors, and that is when I discovered this odd behavior.
I can create my own folders inside My Documents, and they backup and restore just fine, as long as they don't include the words Music or Video in the folder name. Weird...

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

I don't know exactly why you are having problems, but sound like you have more then basic PC skills and know what you are doing. All I can do is show how I have it setup.
I have my C & D drive on one physical drive, and my E on another. My email and documents are saved to default locations, my iTtunes music library is on D and my (LOTS of) pictures are on my E drive.
I do not use any plugins with FBackup. I created a job to Mirror files to my U (external USB drive). I chose the Users folder and my name, but under AppData, I unchecked the Mozilla Firefox cache data. I chose the iTunes folder on D, and all of my E drive. I also set it to delete files from the target that are no longer on the source. It is scheduled to run everyday at 11 PM.
The first run took about 3 hours, but after that, it utilizes the index files it creates and takes about 3 minutes to update. The external drive has all of my backups in one folder divided by drive letter and folder name. As far as your situation, I don't store music files in My Documents\My Music, but iTunes does store my iTunes profile there and it has been properly copied to the backup.
All I can suggest is get you data restored and make your new backup job from scratch. Two other ideas are to make sure you name your drive volumes like (Name_C, Name_D, etc) so if you have to boot off of a recovery CD your drive letters might not match what they used to be. Also I would go to the Disk manager and assign your external USB a letter like U or whatever like I did so that if you add a drive, memory card, or USB stick, it wont effect the drive letter of your backup drive.
Hope this helps??

msc

Post by msc »

Problem solved.
I have no idea what was causing these warnings, but they just stopped for no apparent reason. I even did a fresh install of Windows 7 to make sure I hadn't inadvertently changed something, but it is working just fine. The solution must therefore remain a mystery.
Thank you both for your kind assistance and suggestions...

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
The problem is not with the restore, but with the backup. The backup log file is clear: the destination J: drive cannot be accessed.

The plugins were created to work fine on both XP and Windows 7.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

msc

Post by msc »

It always worked with the plugins. It was other folders, such as My Videos, without plugins that gave me the warnings.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Are you sure that was not a shortcut to the My Videos folder?

msc

Post by msc »

I'm sure.
It is now backing up these same folders with no problem. Same destination drive too.
Well, I may never know what happened, but it's working now. Probably something I overlooked. I've been using FBackup now for some time, and was very careful in the setup.
I find Windows 7 to be a bit more temperamental than XP.
Thanks Again...