Occasionally hangs with 'can't write file' message

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
sisom

Post by sisom »

Hi, I ran FBackup last week to back up a 2TB hard drive, and on several occasions during the backup it stopped, and a message came up, something like 'Can't write file' and then the name of the file, 'Retry, Ignore, Cancel', or something like that - I chose 'Retry', and it carried on fine.
I recently installed Windows 8 and am now setting up all my backups again, and the first one I'm running has come up with the same message, and once I pressed 'Retry' it started working again. I am using a USB 3.0 external 2TB hard drive - is it possible that maybe there is some sort of hardware error? (It's only a week old). Is there a log file I can examine, or send you, which might help?
It seems to back up okay in the end, but I have 4TB of data and some of my partitions can take almost a day to backup, and if it stops five times during the backup, while I'm away from my computer, it obviously will take much longer to complete the backup while it waits for me to press the 'Retry' button.

sisom

Post by sisom »

This is the message box which comes up:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/fbackup.gif/

sisom

Post by sisom »

Here is one of the 417 warnings this backup had:
[28/12/2012 07:04:18] Warning: Skipping file F:\Music\90000_Midi_Files_523MB\Midis Internacionais e Instrumentais\OUTRAS\g\instant karma.mid

Destination error (code 55). The specified network resource or device is no longer available. (H:\MAIN GENERAL\Music\90000_Midi_Files_523MB\Midis Internacionais e Instrumentais\OUTRAS\g\instant karma.mid). H:\MAIN GENERAL\Music\90000_Midi_Files_523MB\Midis Internacionais e Instrumentais\OUTRAS\g\instant karma.mid.
I am backing up onto a one week old 2TB USB 3.0 hard drive, does this look like it could be faulty?

I am about to run my other backups onto my older 2TB USB 3.0 hard drive (Hitachi, exactly the same model, never had this problem with it), I will see if the same problem occurs.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Is the destination drive accessed over the network or it is directly connected to your computer?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html