Issues backing up locked files with 5.0.366

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
mgvinc

Issues backing up locked files with 5.0.366

Post by mgvinc »

Hey guys,

I recently updated my servers to run 5.0.242, but noticed when it tries to backup the exchange database it now says:

[11/19/2013 10:00:28 PM] Warning: Skipping file E:\Exchange\Mailbox Database.edb
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (TLFNFileStream.CreateFile) (srFileOpenError)

If I run the backup manually, it backs up everything correctly, but due to the size of our backups they must be run at night.
Can you throw any light on why the automated process runs, but skips the in-use files, whereas a manual backup is able to work normally?

My shadow service is running, currently set to automatic.

I have share point 2010 installed, it is complaining about VSS, but Microsoft claims those errors can be ignored. Which may be true as a manual backup still runs.
Last edited by mgvinc on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Issues backing up locked files with 5.0.242

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Is the nightly backup scheduled to run using the same user account you use during the day for manual backup?

mgvinc

Post by mgvinc »

Thank you for this program, I'm sure many people agree with me that it is excellent. :)

Yes, I am the administrator and use the same account for the backups.

I did notice a few things I'm wondering if it would help. When I first set the job I didn't set it to run even if the user is logged off. I am unable to successfully change the settings of the scheduler though, it doesn't save when I try to change it to run if logged on or not. Having said that, the backup DOES run, it just doesn't do the opened files, so that is probably not the issue.

I have a few files in the backup with this issue, one isn't that large, I am going to setup a few more backups and see if i can figure this out. I'll post here with what I find.
Last edited by mgvinc on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgvinc

Post by mgvinc »

Hmmm, so I tried to create a new backup for just one of the files it's passing on now. What I get is a popup box saying:

This file is in use.
Enter a new name or close the file that's open in another program.

I have been using fbackup for quite some time to backup my servers, including the opened files, using the shadow volume...is there some place where I need to enable it in the new version?
I did check and the service is set to automatic and is running.

And if I did need to enable it, why is the manual backup working? <<--- I think I'm looking in the wrong spot again perhaps?

mgvinc

Post by mgvinc »

Did figure out one fix. The backup jobs that get imported when you update: you don't seem to be able to change the schedule settings and have them save.
BUT, if you make a new backup job in the new version, then you can modify the schedule settings and it saves the changes.

I'm creating a new job now to see if a newly created job somehow is able to do the full backup. Will post results.

*Update: Same result.

The edits to the schedule DID save, and it executed. But instead of a 30ish gig backup, it did 12 megs, skipping the main reason for the backup because the files were "in use by another process".

mgvinc

Post by mgvinc »

I have 2 other servers that are working properly, they are both 32bit....the problematic one is 64bit, could this be part of the problem?

mgvinc

Post by mgvinc »

I've done a few different trials today and the main point I have is when I do a manual backup the VSS runs during the backup, even if the service is stopped the system will start it up and perform a shadwo copy....when the backup is scheduled, the VSS doesn't run and so the locked files fail.

This makes sense for the errors I'm seeing.

Now the question I am stuck with is how do I fix this? Any suggestions at all would be great.

Since the issue is the scheduled run, my settings are currently set to run whether I am logged in or not, with my current username and password.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

mgvinc

Post by mgvinc »

I am getting closer.

If I set the backup to run whether logged in or not....the VSS fails and any opened files don't get backed up.

If I am logged on, and the program is set to run with the current user....IT WORKS, and all opened files are backed up using the shadow copy. I suppose this is why manual backups are working.

I am thinking the Admin/BkPriv/RePriv : False/False/False is the problem. Somehow my login credentials don't count as an administrator when running from the scheduler, which makes no sense to me.

I'll come back tomorrow and bang my head against this wall some more. If I can't solve it, I can always redo my backup jobs to run only if I am logged in, not ideal, but it will work.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We found a problem and we will fix it. In the meantime, please open "Tasks Scheduler" from Control Panel, find the FBackup task and edit it.
Select the "Run with highest privileges" option.

mgvinc

Post by mgvinc »

First of all...you've used far too few words to fix my issue.

Secondly....It works! It works! Booooya!

Now I just need to remember to update the windows scheduler on the rest of my systems and any time I make an adjustment or add a new schedule. I can handle that :)

Thank you so much :)