more files in backup

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
nhmom

Post by nhmom »

I'm not sure if this is working okay or not. I keep trying to backup from Patty'sDocuments and Patty'sPhotos (not under Patty'sDocuments) from an internal hard drive to my portable external one. But, each time I try it, it takes hours (started at 6:30 this morning and finished at 11:30 tonight) and I end up with more GB, files and folders in the backup than in my original folder. I'm reading this from WE under properties for each drive.
S is my original drive, E is an internal drive that it gets mirrored to every day, K is an external drive that I periodically mirror to. When I run the E drive every day, it takes no more than 2 minutes. I just tried to run the K drive one a few weeks ago. It should not have had that much new to add. Although, now that I think of it, it ended up with warnings or errors in the end. I wasn't home when it finished and my husband had shut the computer off.
The data for my drives is as follows (size, size on disk, contains: files, folders):
For Patty'sDocuments folder:

S - 26.8GB, 26.9GB, 38068, 1718

E - 28.7GB, 28.8GB, 39067, 1727

K - 28.8GB, 29.5GB, 38852, 1726
For Patty'sPhotos folder:

S - 296GB, 296GB, 58529, 668

E - 297GB, 297GB, 58963, 675

K - 296GB, 297GB, 58934, 674
These are the settings for my E backup:

Backup type:

Type: Mirror

Clear archive bit: No

Folder name prefix: none

Fast mirror: Yes

Create full paths: No

Copy files in a subfolder: No

Remove excluded or deleted files from backup: Yes

Only if source drive is available: No

Zip the files: No

Copy NTFS security permissions: No

Copy NTFS alternate file streams: No

Allow file splitting when spanning: No

Sort mirror files for optimized spanning: No
These are the settings for my K backup:

Backup type:

Type: Mirror

Clear archive bit: No

Folder name prefix: none

Fast mirror: Yes

Create full paths: Yes

Copy files in a subfolder: No

Remove excluded or deleted files from backup: Yes

Only if source drive is available: No

Zip the files: No

Copy NTFS security permissions: No

Copy NTFS alternate file streams: No

Allow file splitting when spanning: No

Sort mirror files for optimized spanning: No
The only difference is I have the K drive set to create full paths and I don't even remember why I was doing that now.
Anyway, I cannot figure out how I keep getting different number of files and folders if they are supposed to be mirrors with deleted files being deleted. And, is it only because I have the K drive set to create full paths that backup takes 17 hours to run?
This last backup had two warnings. I think maybe because the daily backup ran at the same time as this one was running.
A few minutes later...... I reran the K backup to see if it would take forever again. It took under 2 minutes and the file it had warning on copied this time. I'm thinking maybe it was because it had to create the whole catalog again. But, I'm still curious about the numbers of files between the original and backups. Shouldn't they be the same?
Patty

nhmom

Post by nhmom »

3 days and no one has any ideas about the differences in the numbers of files????

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You said you looked for the size in the Properties of each drive. That is not accurate as there could be other hidden files in that drive.

Please see the Properties of the destination folder.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html