Files were deleted in backup target directory

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Jim Rockford

Files were deleted in backup target directory

Post by Jim Rockford »

In using Fbackup as of April 05, 2018, I noticed in the log messages that some files in the destination folder for a Mirror-type backup were deleted. The deleted files were still present in the source directory, so this was not a case of files being deleted in the target that didn't exist in the source (which is the behavior I expect). This caused me great concern, but thankfully the missing files in the backup were still preserved in my source directory.

What I'm wondering about is why this happened. It's possible that the time stamp was newer for those target files, so Fbackup perhaps got confused about what to do. What I'd like to have happen, in the event that target directory files are newer than the source ones, is to have the target directory files left alone and not replaced by the older source files. If that can't happen, then at the very least I would like to see the target directory files *not deleted* altogether, which is what happened.

I'm only guessing the reason why these target directory files were deleted. Can somebody provide some insight into the likely reason? If it's a time stamp issue (target directory files newer than source ones), then is the deletion of the target directory files the expected behavior? What is supposed to happen, in theory, in this instance?

The drive I use to backup, which contains the target directories, is an SSD external drive that could possibly have had some corrupted files. Would Fbackup delete them for that reason?

Much thanks for any help.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Files were deleted in backup target directory

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the last backup log and the .fkc catalog file for that job to info[at]fbackup[dot]com, to see what the problem is.
Also please tell us the name and path of a file deleted while it should not have been.

MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Jim Rockford wrote:In using Fbackup as of April 05, 2018, I noticed in the log messages that some files in the destination folder for a Mirror-type backup were deleted. The deleted files were still present in the source directory, so this was not a case of files being deleted in the target that didn't exist in the source (which is the behavior I expect). This caused me great concern, but thankfully the missing files in the backup were still preserved in my source directory.

What I'm wondering about is why this happened. It's possible that the time stamp was newer for those target files, so Fbackup perhaps got confused about what to do. What I'd like to have happen, in the event that target directory files are newer than the source ones, is to have the target directory files left alone and not replaced by the older source files. If that can't happen, then at the very least I would like to see the target directory files *not deleted* altogether, which is what happened 9apps.

I'm only guessing the reason why these target directory files were deleted. Can somebody provide some insight into the likely reason? If it's a time stamp issue (target directory files newer than source ones), then is the deletion of the target directory files the expected behavior? What is supposed to happen, in theory, in this instance?

The drive I use to backup, which contains the target directories, is an SSD external drive that could possibly have had some corrupted files. Would Fbackup delete them for that reason?

Much thanks for any help.
Did you find the cause of this problem because I think I am seeing the same thing. I created a mirror backup then checked remove deleted files. I deleted two files on the source and then ran the backup again. After it finished I check the backup folder (on a usb drive) and the files that I deleted from the source where still there?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please note that after you delete the files, you need to also modify an existing source file, otherwise the backup won't run and the deletion won't be performed.
The backup is executed only if there is at least one new or modified file/folder.

elwishtwo

Post by elwishtwo »

I recently set up a machine with Ubuntu Server to host game servers. I installed a backup plugin for each game server that creates frequent backups of game world files in a particular folder on the machine.

Coopers

Post by Coopers »

Hi,
I'm getting started with Fbackup (just downloaded the latest version). How can I set up a disk to disk backup for my files (college projects and large files)? Also: what is the correct way to delete the files?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please use the Mirror backup type to perform a disk to disk copy of the data files (projects and large files).
If you want to remove from destination the files deleted from sources, please open Backup Properties->Type page.
Select the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option.