Deleted files aren't removed from destination

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Adrian (Softland)

Re: Deleted files aren't removed from destination

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

FBackup will delete from destination the file you deleted from sources, on the next backup execution.
When you started the backup, it found no files to be backed up, that is why the backup did not ran.
As the backup did not ran, no files are deleted from destination.
That is why you must have at least one new or modified file in sources, to be backed up.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

dmacin

Post by dmacin »

It's 2024 and many update versions later. I'm having the this same problem. In mirror backup folders deleted from SOURCE are not getting deleted from DESTINATION. The box for 'remove excluded or deleted files' is checked. Doing more backups 2 days later doesn't make a difference -- the deleted folders and files still remain in the backup destination.
What to do? Please help.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send us the .fkc catalog file for that job, from the backup destination.
Also let us know the name and path of a source file which should have been deleted from destination, but it wasn't.
Send it to info[at]fbackup[dot]com
If the file is large, put it into a zip archive.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

shmuga9

Post by shmuga9 »

Solution discovered!

Go to: Backup Properties > Advanced page > Uncheck the “Smart file scanning mode” option.

I had several issues. It wouldn't delete files destination files that no longer existed in the source. But also, even if I added a *new* file to trigger the program to look into that folder, it still wouldn't remove/add files that it missed before. It would only add the file I added immediately. But I tested it multiple times and everything works now.

Figured I post this for posterity's sake. No one likes a forum with an unsolved/hidden answer (or at least fewer/no solutions).

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

That option is using the Windows USN journal for faster file changes detection. If the journal is corrupt (that is a rare case) such situations can appear. Unchecking the option will switch to the standard file detection changes used by FBackup. It is slower but more accurate.