Files Renamed, but Not Copied in Back Up

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Curious

Post by Curious »

Hi. I was doing an incremental back up and found that when I renamed photo files, FBackup did not register the name changes and kept the original file name. Then I changed the location of the files and it did not register the changes in the location, nor the name changes. I have the selected option to delete excluded or deleted files, but it did not help. I understand that the files were not actually deleted, but this is not the mirror copy function I need if it can not register the changes in file name or location. Am I doing something wrong or it is a limitation of the freeware version?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Have you changed the file names and location of the source files or for the files in destination?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Curious

Post by Curious »

Thanks for responding. I changed the source file's name (photos) and then organized the pictures into folders according to the date taken. The original back up still had the previous name and previous location of the files. The only thing that changed with this interim back upwas the files that I downloaded into another folder. No changes made to material backed up showed up in the new backup. No changes in the setting for the program was made.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Please make sure the new folders are listed in the backup sources list of Backup4all.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Curious

Post by Curious »

I have FBackup. I'm not sure what you mean by having the new folders listed in the backup sources list. If you mean whether the new folders were listed in the backup drive, yes, they are there. But they were there created prior to the backup. I create folders for photos for the year. The renamed pictures did not go into these folders in the backup.

Curious

Post by Curious »

I found out what was wrong. I have two folders labeled "Photos" and I was backing up the folder that I did not make any changes to. Ugh. Sorry for the mistake.
I tried it with a smaller folder to double check and sure enough, FBackup did work with the changes I made.
By the way, I noticed that the program installed as an x86 program. Does the program support 64 bit Windows 7? Is there a problem backing up if it is running as a 32 bit program? Do I need to do something to have it run as a 64 bit program?

CJE

Post by CJE »

Hi Curios,
This may help answer your 32-64 bit version question. This is a copy/paste from the download page:

"FBackup is a free backup software for both personal and commercial use and works on Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000 and 2008/2003/2000 Server (32 and 64-bit). Download it now and start backing up your important data."
Hope this helps.

- CJE

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
FBackup is a 32-bit application, that why it was installed as an x86 program. It works fine under both 32 and 64 bit OS.