FBackup not backing up locked files

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
rfgullett

FBackup not backing up locked files

Post by rfgullett »

Performing mirror backup and FBackup (8.5 build 264) will not backup the Outlook files even when added to include Filters. FBackup Help says "FBackup can backup open/locked files (if the files are located on local partitions on Windows XP/2003/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/8.1/Windows 10) and it can perform full and mirror backups. When defining a backup you can also set file filters and schedule the backup for automatic execution." It just doesn't work. I get the following Warning in the log...

[12/22/2019 11:30:37 AM] Warning: Skipping file C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\[email protected]
Source error (code 33). The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file. (C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\[email protected]).

Ron

Adrian (Softland)

Re: FBackup not backing up locked files

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Backup the OST files is needless.
This is the Microsoft position regarding .ost files:
"Maintaining changes to OST files within shadow copies is expensive in terms of space and I/O activity. The time-consuming work at backup time is backing up the OST files as part of the image. Everyday I/O will write to the OST file when Outlook is running. So the backup process will impact the performance on the computer. If the OST changes were kept in shadow copies, then Outlook writes to the OST files is copy on write I/O hit (2 writes, 1 read) every time. Even though we have worked to reduce the impact of copy-on-writes on shadow copies, a heavily churned file such as OST file still cause problems on the computer. In addition, the OST files can be regenerated. We delete OST file from the shadow copy before the image is created. For example, after restoring an OST, the computer detect a new version of the OST file on the computer, it will force you to delete, and the regenerate the local OST file. Therefore, it is still preferable to regenerate an OST file instead of restoring it." If you still want to backup the .ost files using FBackup, you need to close Outlook. After that you can run the backup.